Thursday, April 24, 2008

Memory Keeper's Daughter

I recently finished this book, and for anyone who wants to read it and hasn't, SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!

With that being said, this book evoked a strong emotional reaction in me, which I'm sure it was designed to do. I understand David's reason for giving his daughter away (though not how he could do it) but for pity's sake, how could he spend his entire life lying to his wife?? His poor wife's entire life was a LIE! She didn't even know his real last name, for pete's sake! When she found out that Phoebe was alive, I cried so hard for her. How DARE he keep her daughter from her! How DARE he die without telling her and leave Caroline to do it? How DARE he keep his children from knowing each other their entire lives? The utter arrogance of this man is galling, I can't hardly stand to think about him without wanting to throw something (preferably this book) at him. I want to beat him to a pulp. He deserved all the misery he got. He objectified everyone around him in order to deal with his own selfish insecurity.

Uggh.

I can't imagine what this author must have gone through in order to dream up this book.

No comments: